Anarjohka National Park is one of Norway’s most remote wilderness areas! Here live bear, moose and wolverines – and grouse. The reindeer has their winter pastures here, and sometimes a wolf will cross in from Finland in search of fresh reindeer meat. This skiing expedition goes roughly from Karasjok to Kautokeino, the Sami villages in the south of Finnmark, on the border, and also in to Finland.
This expedition is designed for people familiar with the winter outdoor life and pulling an expedition sled.
- Each participant pulls an expedition sled with personal equipment
- Arctic huskies which pull most of the mountain equipment by sled (non-motorised)
- Approx. 200 km as the crow flies, approx. 25 km a day
- Expedition sled with sled bag is included
- Tent, primus stove, fuel saucepans, safety equipment are included
- 9 days’ skiing, 1 day in Kautokeino
- 9 nights (7 in tents, 1 in cabin at Siccajavri Fjellstue, 1 at hotel)
- Ski gear may be rented
- Maximum 7 participants
Start in Finland (bring your passports)
Starting in Angeli on the Norwegian/Finnish border and spend out first night at the legendary Andreas Nilsen Cabin on the boundary of the national park.
We visit the highest and second highest mountains in the national park, the southernmost point in Finnmark and the sources of two of the main rivers in the Finnmark wilderness, the Anarjohka and the Karasjohka.
We will also ski past the Ulvefossen waterfall, one of the main landmarks in the national park.
Towards the end of the expedition, we cross into Finland before spending the second to last night at the Siccajavri Fjellstue (mountain lodge), known as one of the coldest places in Norway.
Banquet dinner in Kautokeino
We spend the last night of the expedition at the Kautokeino Hotel and enjoy a banquet dinner in the evening. On the final day, we visit the Juhls Silver Gallery and Kautokeino Church before returning to Alta in the afternoon. Back in Alta at 4:30pm
Mandatory meeting, planning and packing
There is a mandatory planning meeting at GLØD headquarters at 14:00 (2pm) on the day before departure.
Accommodation before and after
If so is needed we strongly suggest our Aurora Canvas Dome! Cool and stylish! And breakfast is included!
This is the trip of your dreams!
Day 0: Planning and packing meeting at 16:00 (4pm)
Day 1: Transport to Angeli (Finland) south of Karasjok, short skiing day, stay overnight at the legendary Andreas Nilsen Cabin
Days 2-9: Skiing days, stay overnight in tents, night 8 at Siccajavri Fjellstue (mountain lodge) and night 9 at Kautokeino Hotel
Day 10: In Kautokeino, return to Alta, back in Alta by 4:30pm
Dates in 2020
April 17 – 26
Mandatory planning and packing meeting on 16th April at 14:00 (2pm)
NOK 26,900 per person
Up to seven participants
Equipment and clothing
All the equipment you bring must be tested and designed for expedition use. If you have doubts about what we mean in the list, or if you have doubts about your own equipment, if it is good enough, contact us! This is not the expedition you join with poor gear.
- Expedition sleigh with rope for pulling for each participant (GLØD/private)
- Tent (GLØD)
- Snow pegs (GLØD)
- Burners (GLØD)
- Fuel (GLØD)
- Primus stoves (GLØD)
- Cooking pots/pans (GLØD)
- Cooking utensils (GLØD)
- Necessities for dishwashing (GLØD)
- Satellite phone (GLØD)
- GPS (GLØD/private)
Ski gear (can be rented from us)
- All-terrain skis
- Ski poles
- Ski wax (Swix blue extra, Rode multigrade 0-min 2, Rode 0, 0-plus 1, 0-plus2 and Universal klister)
- Short skins (optional)
- Windproof hooded jacket
- Windproof trousers
- Ski gloves
- Mountain mittens (wool mittens with windproof cover)
- Down filled jacket (Expedition version)
- Thin sweater/fleece
- Long underpants and top (wool)
- Long underpants and top (wool)
- 2 pairs of thin, woollen socks
- 2 pairs of woollen socks
- Backpack (minimum 40-50 litres)
- Sleeping bag Comfort minus 25 dgr celsius
- Two sleeping madrases (one inflatable mattress or similar and one none inflatable)
- Things you may consider: expedition chair and Arctic bedding
- Bowl, spoon, thermos cup
- Thermos (1 litre)
- Water bottle that can handle boiling water
- Sunglasses and sun cream
- Camera gear
- Pack bags for equipment on the expedition sleigh (preferably waterproof)
- Tooth brush/toothpaste
- Toilet paper
- Sports tape
- Personal requirements
- Medicines for private use
Other things to consider
- Bivuakk shoes
- Reading material